February was.... an interesting month. Rather than spending a ton of time on the goals we set, we took a step back to reflect on our big vision for Thrive Lounge (making sure we practice what we preach).
We are quickly realizing how easy it is to get sucked into an endless stream of "best marketing practices" and "20-step processes to promote each blog post" and "must-haves grow your email list" ideas. Seriously, trying to be like the influencers was starting to suck the fun out of creating.... and, to be honest, we really wanted to get back to the FUN.
We spent a lot of time thinking about:
- How we could REALLY connect with our audience.
- How we can create something of value to them.
- How we can have fun doing it.
During all of this internal reflection, we still tried to reach are the goals we set at at the end of January. We wanted to:
- Make at least $385 through our events/workshops (This would be a 10% increase on what we made in January.)
- 200 Email List Subscribers (10% increase from January)
- Add a hello bar to our website (Totally crushed this goal! Check out our new Hello Bar at the top of the page.)
- 1070 website page views
- January 2017: 972
- February Goal: 1070 page views
- Actual: 862 (Missed the goal by 208)
- January 2017: 248 Facebook Page Likes
- Goal: none set
- January: 267
If you want to know how we got over 200 followers, take a look at our first blog post here.
- January 2017: 181 Total Email List Subscribers
- Goal: 200
- February: 217 (#Success)
862 Page views, 267 Facebook Likes, 217 Email List
Despite our efforts to share our website on social media, our website page views have continued to drop. We are sharing our blog posts through our email list, Facebook (pages and groups), Twitter, Instagram, Google Plus (yes, we know there's no one there), and Pinterest but no luck in getting these numbers up. (So if you have some tips on how to get your blog page views up, let us know! :)
Here's the breakdown of where our traffic came from:
Top Traffic Sources:
- 50% came through direct link
- 34% Facebook
- 8.7% Instagram
- 3.9% Twitter
Top Pages Visited:
- CLARITY - Mastermind for the Ambitious Girlboss
- January Income and Traffic Report
- How to Find Time in Your Busy Schedule for Social Media
Even though our website traffic is refusing to show us some love, we were able to grow our email list - and even surpass our goal! This was due to a few things:
- Creating more freebies to add to the site.
- Adding the Hello Bar.
- Starting the meetup group catering to our target audience. (Did you know you get all of the emails for the members of your meetup group? #winning)
January 2017: $350
- February: $199 (Missed by $186)
We launched a new event this month - C L A R I T Y Mastermind for the Ambitious Girlboss. Throughout February, we sold tickets at an early bird rate and also offered an email-only discount for Valentine's Day. (Pro Tip: Join our #ThriveSquad to get access to all our email-only deals.)
With a new event, you never know what to expect. We had no idea whether people will like the new concept or if you just wasted your time building something that no one wants. We launched the event mid-February and sold 7 tickets by the end of the month. This is a huge success because these sales immediately validated the idea and we can feel comfortable creating more events like this. :)
What Else Happened This Month:
- Started a meetup group! (Just for fun)
- Booked one nonprofit workshop for March (woot woot!)
- Created a short to-do list to promote each weekly blog post.
- Took Melyssa Griffin's Pinfinite Growth Course (which is AWESOME)
- Start planning for VisionCon 2017 (get a legit business plan)
- 238 Email List Subscribes ( this would be a 10% increase from February)
- 948 website page views (10% increase from February)
WHAT WE LEARNED:
After VisionCon, we were in a hurry to build our empire (because one successful event totally means you're empire-worthy). We were receptive to every idea from every influencer on how to build your email list, get more page views, win at social media, AND become a rockstar influencer (all at the same time, of course). This left us feeling very drained because we were no longer enjoying the process.
Taking a step back to reflect on what is best for BOTH us AND our audience was the best thing we could've done this month. It's very easy to get side-tracked from your vision because there are so many people online totally killing it in their niche giving advice on how you can do the same. It's tempting to try to follow all of the good advice and best practices. But, what good is building your own company when what you're creating is no longer in line with your vision?
Creating a new product was our opportunity to be innovative and bring something different to our audience. Starting a meetup group was a chance to connect with our audience, provide value and get back to the fun side of Thrive Lounge (because all work and no play was turning us into dull ladies)! The shorter to-do list for blog post promotion also gave us an opportunity to promote each blog post and get our marketing on without being exhausted by the end of the process. At the end of the day, we found a balance that works for us (#success)!
Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.
Are You Unstoppable?
Subscribe to the newsletter to join our community of 2000+ UNSTOPPABLE women for exclusive access to our premium content, events & products to take your hustle to the next level. #winning